Augment your world with Spark AR
Spark AR helps creators imagine, build and share augmented reality experiences that reach the billions of people on Facebook and Instagram.
Whether you’re a beginner, using Spark AR templates and libraries to create your first effect, or an experienced pro, using customizations to build more interactive experiences — it’s time to put your creativity to the test.
We’re inviting all creators to build a World AR effect that’s optimized for an exciting new product — Instagram Reels. Reels allows users to record short videos with single or multiple AR effects. For this hackathon, we’re looking for submissions that demonstrate an imaginative use of features like plane tracking and segmentation in an effect that’s fun and tailored for short-form creative performances on Reels. Read our FAQs for more info.
As always, you’ll have access to the Spark AR creator community, along with tutorials, guides, and expert advice from the Spark AR and Instagram teams, to help you with your project.
Several submissions will be selected to receive cash prizes and Oculus VR headsets. We’ll also be providing a free swag giveaway* to each team member from an eligible submission.
We can’t wait to see what you create!
* Only while supplies last. 1 gift item (up to 4 max) per eligible Entry. Limit 1 item per Individual regardless of number of Entries. Actual gift items, type, value may vary from descriptions and images. Mode of shipment for delivery within Sponsor’s sole discretion, only to addresses within the Territory, and any customs charges, taxes, fees applicable to item receipt and use is recipient’s responsibility. Sponsor does not guarantee delivery or date of receipt. Void where prohibited by law. Subject to full Contest Official Rules.
** All prizing subject to full Official Rules. Winning Org or Team is responsible for dividing and distributing lump sum cash payouts and all other prizes amongst themselves. Mode of delivery for all prizes, including devices, payments, virtual meeting or call scheduling, etc. is solely at Sponsor’s discretion and subject to availability, shipping restrictions and delays. If advertised prize is unavailable, may be replaced with equivalent prize.
$7,000 in prizes
• $3,000 USD
• At least one 30-minute virtual meeting with a Facebook engineer
• Oculus Quest 64GB VR headset (ARV: $399 USD; 1 per individual, 4 max per Org or Team)
• $2,500 USD
• $1,500 USD
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
What to build: Using Spark AR Studio, build a World AR effect that’s optimized for an exciting new product — Instagram Reels. Reels allows users to record short videos with single or multiple AR effects. For this hackathon, we’re looking for submissions that demonstrate an imaginative use of features like plane tracking and segmentation in an effect that’s fun and tailored for short-form creative performances on Reels.
What to submit:
- Demo Video. Your video (hosted on Facebook Video, YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku) should be around 2 minutes, include a demo of your working application via a step-by-step visual demo, and be available in English. Be sure to talk about the Spark AR Studio features you used to build your effect.
- Access. Please submit the Share link to the Instagram Spark AR effect (which includes the effect ID) and link to GitHub containing project file. If your effect is not yet published, share the preview/testing link.
- Complete submission form. All required fields must be completed and submitted on Devpost BEFORE the deadline. Late entries will NOT be accepted.
Sean Alfred Blair
Partner Engineer working with Spark AR
Partner Engineering Manager
Quality of the Idea
Includes creativity and originality of the idea.
Potential Strategic Impact
Includes the potential value and usefulness to real-world users.
Implementation of the Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer, the extent to which the featured Facebook products were incorporated, and the extent to which respect for user privacy was considered or incorporated in the design.